Wilted Kale and Sweet Potato Soup
Soup. It's not just for winter. I believe in eating soup all year round, using veggies, fruits, grains... you name it! There is just something so comforting about a nice cozy bowl of broth. Especially on rainy days or when fighting a cold. Which is exactly what I'm doing today. I've been sneezy all morning (hopefully just allergies) and really groggy from the overcast weather we are having. So for lunch I decided to make a bowl of my new favorite dish: Wilted Kale and Sweet Potato Soup.
It includes a handful of simple ingredients, easy prep, and can be whipped up in 40 minutes or less. Ahhh.
I've never been a huge fan of long complicated recipes, so whenever I create a new dish, I try to keep it to 10 ingredients or less. I also believe in rich, savory flavors... especially with soups. It's always the worst when I try a new soup recipe and it comes out watery and flavorless. Seriously, why? Soup doesn't have to be this boring thing we eat when we feel like we need to be on a diet. Don't be afraid. Throw some meat, fat, and hearty grains in there!
With that said, this soup recipe is healthy in the sense that it's gluten free, low G.I., and made with only fresh ingredients. I used a homemade stock from a whole chicken my husband David butchered and cooked down for me. It adds a lush, fatty, richness you just don't find with the store bought stuff. However if you're trying to cut animal products out, you can make this soup vegan by substituting veggie stock and it'll still taste really nice.
BTW, I've recently been obsessed with eating low G.I. There are a bunch of articles coming out showing it is a natural alternative to managing symptoms of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (P.C.O.S). If you've been following my blog for a while, you know I'm baby crazy, so honestly I'll do anything to improve my odds!
I do hope you give this recipe a try. It's like a giant, warm hug for your tummy and pairs nicely with avocado toast (or cream cheese on toast... yum) and fresh sliced tomato. You can even throw in some egg noodles if you need an extra carb boost.
WILTED KALE AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
Prep time: 10 min | Cooktime: 30 min | Total Time: 40 min
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 a yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock + 4 cups water OR 6 cups store bought chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 sprig of fresh oregano
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 cups of fresh kale leaves (stems removed)
- Juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 roasted chicken breasts, diced (optional)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the onion with a dash of salt and cook, stirring until translucent and slightly browned on the edges (about five minutes).
- Add the garlic and fresh herbs and cook, stirring until fragrant (about one minute).
- Stir in the stock + water, sweet potatoes, salt, and a few dashes of pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the kale and diced chicken (if using) and heat through (about 5 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste + lemon juice.
- Serve warm with toast, Parmesan, fresh tomatoes, or any other desired toppings.